I know that e-books have taken over, but I love a good old fashioned book- especially used ones. Call me weird, but I love the look of a book that’s been read a zillion times. And I love the way books smell! Because I’m an avid reader, I do have a bunch of e-books, but some things I just need to have in my hot little hands. Wandering aimlessly around a bookstore is one of my favorite things, but new books can end up being quite expensive. Used bookstores are even better, but sometimes the books you want are at the bottom of a ten-foot stack, and trying to get it out could result in one being crushed to death (that’s almost happened to me more than once)! So here is a list of places online to stock up on all the used books your little horror-loving heart’s desire! (besides Amazon and eBay).
- Thriftbooks.com – One of my favorites! I’ve gotten so many books there at really great prices. Book conditions range anywhere from acceptable to new. They ship worldwide and US orders under $10 ship free.
- BetterWorldBooks.com – A portion of their sales goes to help libraries and global literacy, which is pretty awesome. Book conditions range from acceptable to new. They ship worldwide. Regular shipping is free.
- AbeBooks.com – They sell everything from used and rare books, art, and collectibles. The books come from independent sellers who set the price and the shipping costs themselves. They ship worldwide and shipping costs are next to each book, so there are no surprises.
- Alibris.com- This site supports independent booksellers from all across the world for great prices. On top of books, they also sell movies and music, along with school textbooks. They even have a section dedicated to 99 cent deals! Each item has a dropdown menu that lists shipping options and prices, which depend on where the book is being shipped from.
- Bookoutlet.com- Like the other sites on this list, Book Outlet is another great resource for discounted books. For orders over $35 in the USA and Canada, shipping is free. Otherwise, there’s a flat rate of $5 per order. Rates change for other countries outside of the US and Canada.
- The Strand – In case you don’t already know, The Strand is a famous bookstore in NYC. Their used books are in great condition. They also have new books (of course), along with rare books, and all kinds of gifts for readers.
Let me know if you get anything good!