Welcome to summer! Not the summer we’re all hoping for, but according to my calendar, summer it is. Since most of us aren’t able to do the things we used to, I thought I would try to help. Here’s a list of some fun summertime horror movies. Not being able to go to summer camp this year is disappointing but look at it this way….at least the former camp counselor won’t come after you with a machete!!
- Friday the 13th – The summer camp OG. Yeah, it’s an obvious choice, I know, but it had to be first. When is everyone going to learn not to go to an abandoned campsite???? And please, for the sake of your loved ones, don’t have sex while you’re there!!!
- Sleep Away Camp – I’m starting to think that going away to camp is a bad idea. Case in point: all five Sleep Away Camp movies. Same formula, same deadly results, but with a twist. If you haven’t seen the first one already, I’m not going to spoil it for you.
- Madman– A camp counselor tells his campers the story of Madman Marz, hung years ago for killing his family. Before he died he said that if anyone ever said his name above a whisper, he would be back. Needless to say, the counselor talks too loud…
- Jaws – I don’t personally don’t consider this horror, but so many people do that I can’t ignore it. Plus. I love this movie!! He’s a killer on a mission! And who doesn’t love Quint? If you can’t sing along when they launch into “Show Me The Way to Go Home”, then you need to watch it over and over until you do!
- Camp Hell – Christian summer camp!!! Speaking after 12 years of catholic school, that already sounds pretty freaking scary! Take some innocent teens, add a little sex, throw in a demon, and well – you get the idea.
- The Burning – Ok, yes it’s the old former camper and/or employee is back for revenge formula. But this one has more gore than others, a real-life urban legend behind it (Hello Cropsey) and has Tom Savini doing the special effects! Need I say more?
- Friday the 13th Part 2 and Friday the 13th Jason Lives – I didn’t want to leave these out. These are the only other movies in the series that are set during the summer. Part 2 has Jason running around pre-face mask days. In Jason Lives, our favorite hockey goalie is accidentally brought back from the dead.
Show these to the kids if they start complaining about not going to camp!